Warm compresses may be applied over the eyelids as a treatment for meibomian gland dysfunction. They work by loosening up hardened oil that clogs the oil glands in the eyelids. For many people with chronic meibomian gland dysfunction, heat treatment is an effective ‘maintenance’ treatment.
Bundle Towel Warm Compress Method
1) 5-6 lint free towels (wash clothes or cloth napkins).
2) Glass or ceramic bowl with lid.
1) Dampen towels (5-6) in room temperature water; squeeze out excess water.
2) Fold towels (long rectangles).
3) Wrap first towel into tight cylinder, continue wrapping remaining towels around first towel until you have a large bundle.
4) Place towels in dish, cover with lid, microwave: 1 minute and 40 seconds.
5) Allow towels to cool 1-2 minutes before using.
6) Apply first outermost towel; apply to face according to standard warm compress instructions (keep remaining towels in covered dish).
7) Replace towel roughly every 2 minutes or when no longer feels warm; peel towels from outside and work towards center towel last.
1) Maintain elevated lid temperatures
2) Simplify heating process
3) Making warm compress more efficient
Exercise great care when applying any heat to the lids, to prevent irritation or burning. Please consult your doctor for specific advice and instructions. Bear in mind that heat promotes inflammation, so do not overuse.